Tuesday 17 March 2015

Battle of the Jedis

Pineapple  - Ananas comosus - (a work in progress) - £1200 unframed


What a day in the studio today! It was the battle of the Jedis - Pineapple in the morning, Cabbage in the afternoon and in the middle I re-arranged the room and pinned all my work onto my walls. It now looks like a gallery! Super...

Ignoring the allure of Pinterest and Youtube videos, I managed to roll out of bed and enter the studio at a more reasonable hour this morning. First up - tackling the Pineapple leaves. Yesterday afternoon I started the process and well it made me rather depressed as I thought I was on the home stretch. When I looked at them though, I realised that I was actually a million miles from the finishing line. It was clear that the leaves needed many more layers of paint. Rather disappointed by this observation the rest of the afternoon felt like I was basically trudging on... I wasn't enjoying the process at all. This morning, however, was absolutely blooming brilliant - I was really enjoying the challenge. I am definitely finding the leaves MUCH harder to do. It's the colour of them and the silly (but purposeful) way I have lit the darn thing. There are lots of dark shadows and then there is this really weird turquoise blue which is often adjacent to these lurid green splodges which are scattered along the surface here and there... It's all very tricky. Give me the fruity bits any day.

So after a few hours of that, it was then time for a feed and for walkies...

 Here's a bit of Darth... (a work in progress - he's still learning the ways of the force...)

Enter 3pm and suddenly something shifted. I am not sure if was the fact that Uranus was making its last square to Pluto today or what, but I felt it and I felt mad. I felt bonkers (more than usual) and put Obi One to one side. Then I got all of my work out and pinned it on the walls (I recommend doing this). I even got the Mork out. I contemplated working on him, but decided not too. I almost cried as I felt rather overwhelmed by how much work I'd done, but also annoyed as none of it was how I wanted it to be. Feeling black I got Darth out and worked on making him darker. He is indeed learning the ways of the dark force.

So there's today's story and I reckon that makes it time for a beer. Tomorrow, more Darth, but who knows as I am all over the place right now, busy riding this epic wave of Uranic madness. 

6 comments:

  1. Impressive work. I think you conquered the Ananas leaves!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Monica. I'm delighted to hear that you feel I've conquered the leaves, still got a bit to do, but its really encouraging to hear things like that. Thanks.

      Delete
  2. You crate amazing work. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jenny, really kind of you to say so. Im happy to share my work when I get lovely comments like yours!

      Delete
  3. Fantastic Jess

    You just continue to improve with each piece. I think I'm beginning to understand what you mean, when you talk about 'building up the layers' and 'adding more paint'. Again you have achieved that dicotomy of representing textures with the tough smooth silky leaves but yet still representing the coarse, rough nature that makes me think a pair of gloves might be helpful when touching the fruit !
    I'm sure, sharing your works in progress is both encouraging and an inspiration to many of your followers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chris. It's been mad changing textures, but I have rather surprisingly got off of the experience. I love changing, it makes the process of painting so much more enthralling. It's making me sharper and I think this is the way forward. That and doing quick works of live plants before the die. I am trying to more of the latter. The photographs are just killing the thrill for me. So it's all good. Really glad you like the pineapple. Cos is looking good. Finished him today. Wierd going back to an old painting like that. Hadn't touched it since pre RHS. Very odd and quite a shock seeing how I used to put on layers of paint! Had to do a bit of a fix-job on him as I just don't paint like that now. Not so slap dash in the early stages.. more in the latter stages.

      Delete